Thursday 19 January 2012

Annoyances

I have an apology to make to you all. I have not written in a month and 3 days, as I have had the worst writer's block - or blogger's block if you will - that I have ever experienced. I have been waiting for inspiration to leap out at me, and have been waiting, and waiting...and still nothing. Zilch. Nada. 


Despite this, however, I have decided to write a blog post anyway, to ease myself back into normality. Those of you who know me well will know that I write lists for everything. I list things in school, I have to-do lists (Yes, really. You only thought middle aged mothers do that, didn't you?) and just generally organise my thoughts using lists. Those of you clever readers out there will realise I just wrote a list. See? It's in my nature. 


And so, just for you dear followers, I have compiled a list of things that irritate me. This could be used to annoy me purposely, or you could realise that some things that you do annoy me, and stop doing them. I'm hoping you will choose the latter.

1) Invading My Personal Space - If you're standing so close to me that I can smell your breath, then you're too close. Also, take a hint, if I am slowly backing away to regain my precious space, don't follow me. I heard someone give a girl advice once to pretend that everyone has a personal bubble around them that you're not allowed to pop. Write that one down, kids.


2) Bad Spelling & Grammar - Please don't think that I have perfect grammar and spell everything correctly, but if you mix up too/to, they're/their/there or it's/its, I will correct you.


3) Polystyrene - This is not just an annoyance, but also almost a fear. It makes me feel physically sick. The sound of polystyrene rubbing together goes through me more than anything else ever. Scrape your cutlery on your plate, fine. Scratch a chalkboard, whatever. But polystyrene, no. 


4) Hollister - The concept of Hollister irritates me. How the image is so manufactured, and how people still think they are being original and fashionable by wearing Hollister. Let's cut to the chase; you're not. Wearing Hollister, Abercrombie, Jack Wills etc. says that a. You are a sheep and b. That you have alot of money to spend on clothes that, lets face it, all look the same. Be adventurous, don't just wear what your friends wear, explore your own style! Sounds incredibly cheesy but I mean it.


5) Facebook - Although there are many reasons why I think Facebook is great, some people on facebook shouldn't be allowed on. You know, the ones that include extra letters/emoticons/words in their name eg. T@niquaaa x Chaantellee x Supastarrr or the ones that constantly send you invitations for CityVille and all the other mindless games found on facebook, and even when you decline the request, they don't take the polite hint and carry on sending requests...you get the picture. 


6) Unenthusiastic People - I understand that we all have days when we don't want to do anything, and are depressed about life in general, but it is draining to be around someone that has no energy, motivation or drive in life. I don't understand it, there is so much to be excited about! Be happy!


7) Fake Harry Potter Fans - There is an unwritten rule amongst those of us who are true Harry Potter fans, that if you haven't read the books, then you are not a true fan. Sorry, but seeing a few of the films does not qualify you to exclaim that your Hogwarts letter was lost in the post, nor shout 'Wingardium Leviosa!' whilst waving a stick (misprounced, I may add.) 


I have a confession. I have read all the books at least 8 times through. I told this to the 12-year-old girl in year 8 set 5 that I mentor as part of a reading scheme, and she looked at me like I was a patient that had escaped for Glanrhyd. Whoops, so much for being an inspiring role model.


8)  'Phobias' - So many people claim to have a phobia of spiders, heights, or claustrophobia, but I'm certain that most of these claims are exaggerations. If you really have claustrophobia, you feel like the walls are closing in on you, find it difficult to breathe, and can experience heart palpitations. Google it, I did. Most people aren't fond of enclosed spaces, but they deal with it. 


9) Photography - Being able to take a few 'artistic' photos with your super cool snazzy camera does not mean that you are a photographer. Neither does taking photos of sunsets, as beautiful as they are. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take photos, as cameras are wonderful things, but just don't think that you are the next Ansel Adams.


As you may have noticed, this list ends on number 9, which is very unsettling for me, but I didn't have any more pet peeves. I suppose that slightly counteracts how cynical and scathing I have been over this last post. Despite what you may think, I am actually a very happy and optimistic person. 


Now something completely unrelated, I overheard something in the school toilets today which made me laugh, so I thought I would share this intelligent little snippet of conversation with you.


Little kid 1 : Look there's an empty packet of paracetemol in the sink! Someone must have taken the whole packet! Yuck!
Chorus of rest of small children : Ewww! 


I was fascinated hearing this, as I firstly wondered why they automatically assumed that just because the packet was empty, someone had taken all the tablets in one go. I was also very worried that they were more disgusted than concerned at the thought of someone taking a whole packet of paracetemol, as anyone with an ounce of common sense would realise that this would kill you. Wow.


On a final note (quite literally) I just saw this and thought it was genius, so I thought I would share it with you lovely people. Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment