Sunday 27 November 2011

Chicken for Thanksgiving

In case you didn't know, it was Thanksgiving last Thursday. Embracing our American heritage, my family always enjoys celebrating it. The crispy roast potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, butternut squash with marshmallow topping (alas my mother refuses to put the marshmallow topping on now), jelly (yes, literally on the plate, all mixing in with the gravy), honey glazed carrots...oh, and turkey.

Except this year we didn't have turkey. 

We used to have a big box freezer, but after moving house and leaving that one behind, we got a normal shelfy kind. Unfortunately, the measly little shelves don't fit a twelve pound bird. Shame, I really like turkey.

At least we celebrated it on the right day though. A few years ago, I skipped to school merrily, and wished 'Happy Thanksgiving' to my friends with a grin that could put the tro-lo-lo-lo-lo guy to shame. (If you don't know who this beauty is, I've linked the sing along version of the song here.)

The next day, I trudged in and mumbled to my laughing friends that my mother (not I, just for the record) had got the date wrong, and subsequently we had celebrated Thanksgiving a week early. My mum had only realised when she phoned her mum in America to wish her a happy thanksgiving, only to hear laughing down the phone for the next fifteen minutes. She hasn't made that mistake again.

I love Thanksgiving. To be honest, I love food in general, which is why I am thankful for my friends and our dinner club.

I, along with a few of my friends, have had a little dinner club for the past year or so, eating various impressive dishes at each others houses. Last night we had another amazing meal of various types of pasta, garlic bread and homemade ice cream with hot fudge sauce. 

After eating, we have gotten up to quite a variety of things, including carving Mary (as in Jesus' mother) in butter, dying Richard's hair brown and going into hysterics when it came out ginger, and going on Omegle dressed with headscarves and sunglasses. Love you guys.

Oh, for the record, Children in Need went well. Children froze in terror as we swept past them with our capes billowing behind us. We definitely went all out, compared to some that dressed up. We literally studied the characters down to the last detail, which included the dark marks, and in my case, a winge. 

You may not be familiar with winges. Basically, they're clip on fringes. I wore a dark brown one as I was Narcissa Malfoy. For those who didn't know who I was, shame on you. Go read the Harry Potter books. Like now. Well after you finish reading this. You won't regret it.

It was pretty funny walking home dressed like Narcissa Malfoy though. You know when you usually are walking and as people drive past you, they quickly glance at you and then look forward and keep driving? 

People were not glancing. They weren't even staring. They were glancing at me, having a double take and then turning in their seat, straining to see the weird emo girl with the black fringe. Actually, the crazy weird emo girl, as I found this so funny I was laughing to myself as I walked home. 

On a parting note, I was in England recently with my dad. After we passed someone, briefly smiling, my dad told me that that was probably the last time we would ever be in contact with that person. Ever. Mind Blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment